Thursday, August 11, 2005

Red Raider Forever

I guess you have heard the latest from the "politically correct" crowd, that the NCAA has ruled that 18 Universities cannot use Indians for mascots, or they will lose the privileges of post-season tourneys, etc. Coach Bobby Bowden was quoted as saying that "he was a Seminole and would always be a Seminole". Gov. Jeb Bush said that whoever is making these decisions needs to get out of the office and see the real world, or something like that. FSU will be fighting this in court, if need be. I say the whole world is going nuts! Cindy and I both have some Indian in our blood line, and I do not see any problem with Indian mascots. I have Cherokee in my Franklin blood. I think it is fine to use Indian mascots and it keeps before us a reminder that there were many proud Indian nations in America before England, France, and Spain discovered this land. I graduated from Cowpens High School, yes you are reading it correctly, located in Cowpens, SC, in the year 1973. We were the Red Raiders, our school colors red and white! A few years later around 1977, the high school was closed and the Cowpens students were consolidated with Pacolet High School students to become the Gettys D. Broome High School in Spartanburg county. So much for progress.
The Cowpens High fight song: (tune is "Washington and Lee Swing")
Oh, when the boys of Cowpens fall in line
We're gonna win that game another time,
And for dear CHS we'll yell and yell!
And for the red and white, we'll yell and yell and yell!!
We're gonna fight, fight, fight for every game,
We'll circle round our team and make a train,
We're gonna knock our rivals in the sky, oh so high,
Cowpens High !!

Well, it sounds a little corny today but it still brings back a lot of good memories!! I guess I will be a Red Raider forever.

1 comment:

  1. I must have been singing it wrong all these years. My sister sent me the email below to give me the correct words. I was too busy playing my baritone horn to get the words right!!

    Tim,

    I remember the song in a slightly different way. Go RED RAIDERS!

    Deb


    Oh, when the boys of Cowpens fall in line We're gonna win this game another time, For dear ole CHS we'll yell and yell!
    And for the red and white, we'll yell and yell and yell!!
    We're gonna fight, fight, fight for every game, We'll circle round that team and make em tame We're gonna knock our rivals in the sky, oh so high, Cowpens High !!

    ReplyDelete