Friday, September 29, 2006

sometimes bad things happen...

The other day I stopped on the way home from work to pick up medicine. It was one of those "bad" days, I thought, because the one prescription I really needed was not ready. The dentist had not called in my pre-med. On the way to the pharmacy counter, I picked up a couple of 12/pks of Diet Coke which had "sale" stickers of $2.99. As it happened, the sticker was out of date. The cashier paged the manager who was not very happy to sell the drinks at the wrong price. After inquiring if any other drinks were on sale, I decided to purchase the Diet Pepsi instead at $2.50, a no-brainer. I paid for my medicine at the pharmacy counter and headed to the front of the store and grabbed a Diet Pepsi and Diet Dr. Pepper. Yep, it was just one of those days. The Dr. Pepper was not on sale, just the Pepsi product. So I left the store with one 12/pk of diet drinks and one less prescription. I arrived home safe and sound and stopped to get the mail out of our mailbox, and you guessed it - I dropped the mail and the bags of medicine while juggling the diet drink. What else could go wrong, I wondered! I told my wife about my "bad" afternoon. She listened and had a good laugh over it. I stopped and thought about it and tried put it in perspective.

Sometimes things just go wrong and sometimes a lot of things go wrong. Such is the journey of life. That same evening we found out that Ben Hulin was involved in a motorcycle crash and was in critical condition with a spinal injury. Ben was in Stephen's wedding party, and also in the same society with Stephen and Brandon at BJU. One of their best friends is hurting and it makes you stop and think because it could just as easily be happening to your child.

Terri Irwin, wife of Steve "the crocodile hunter" Irwin, was interviewed this week for the first time since his death. Barbara Walters, of ABC's 20/20, asked Terri how she has been able to handle his death. Her response was "by faith" and then when asked to explain that comment, Mrs. Steve Irwin responded "by her faith in God, and because I know that all things happen for a reason."

A few weeks ago, Cindy's mom traveled to Boston to help cousin Mike and Susan in dealing with Susan's father passing away. When they arrived back home to Arkansas, Winnie found out that her sister Ginny had died. Shortly before this, we learned that cousins Jeremiah, Joel and Brandy's "other" grandmother passed away. Through all of these things that happen in life, we can learn to trust God more and our faith can grow. God has promised to comfort us and to be a help in times of trouble. Our problems will seem overwhelming if we lose our focus. As the song reminds us, "Turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full in His wonderful face, and the things of earth will grow strangely dim, in the light of His glory and grace."

No comments:

Post a Comment