Wednesday, February 22, 2006

am radio is alive and well

I find it interesting that AM radio is still alive and well in 2006. Most stations broadcast only during the day and many have switched to talk radio formats. I was reminded of this again as we traveled home from SC on Monday night. It seems the only AM stations I could tune in on I-95 were talk formats. I was hoping to listen to a basketball game, but both stations I heard were from way, way north of here. I listened to AM 700 for awhile from Cincinnati, Ohio. The talk show there was focused on the story of a dad who was arrested for spanking his child with a belt (in public I guess.) The judge scolded him for teaching his child violence by spanking his child. The radio host pointed out several times, that the violence in this fair city was more likely caused by a lack of parental discipline, or a lack of a father in the life of the children, and he disagreed with the judge. Many callers also disagreed with the judge and gave "testimony" to the fact that they had been spanked and they did not go around robbing and killing people now that they are grownups!

Another thing about AM radio at night - Does anyone know why you can tune in to a station from up north, but the local stations are lost after about 30 miles distance? I was able to listen to another station in Tennessee and one in Atlanta, GA, but that was it. I finally picked up a J-ville station about 20 minutes from home. Listening to AM radio on the way home reminded me of the summer nights in my teen years (back in SC) when I would try to listen to radio late at night and could only hear a station from Fort Wayne, Indiana.

Oh well, it made the trip go by a little faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment