Monday, September 21, 2009

Honesty is the best policy

Has this ever happened to you?

The other day I stopped at Target during lunch to pick up some OTC medicines and other supplies. As I was walking out the door, I glanced at the receipt again and wondered how I could spend $43.00 for so few items. As I loaded the items in the trunk of the car, I checked the receipt again and noticed the store brand Clariton item was missing on the printout. The shelf price was $13.95 and I could not in good conscience drive away without paying for this item. I recall when my boys were young that we found a $20 bill on the ground as we were leaving the grocery store. We took it back inside and gave it to the manager. I was sure someone would be coming back to the store looking for their money. It was the right thing to do then and is still the right thing to do today.

I took the medicine and receipt back to the checkout and she was so thankful that I brought it to her attention. When she scanned the box at $19.95 I decided I would not purchase the item at this time. Now if I had not checked my receipt, I realize I would have a free bottle of medicine. I guess this was my good deed for the week :)

This seems to happen often at Target and the last time I lost money. We were on vacation in Wisconsin and I purchased a 12 pack of Cokes on sale. When I got back to Georgia a few days later I discovered the lady had scanned the Cokes twice. Oh well, it's only money!

No comments:

Post a Comment