Saturday, December 03, 2005

newest blogs to read

I have found some interesting blogs recently and you might check them out when you have a few minutes (hours) to spend reading. I have added karaministries.com to my sidebar because this blogger has a lot of things to say about Christian music. While he seems to be more conservative than I am when it comes to music, his recent post about trite, gospel songs was thought-provoking. Which takes me to another blog read called karagraphy.com This quote from C.S.Lewis was posted there...

on tacky hymns, solitary conceit, and your brother’s dirty boots

When I first became a Christian, about fourteen years ago, I thought that I could do it on my own, by retiring to my room and reading theology, and I wouldn’t go to churches and Gospel Halls;…I disliked very much their hymns, which I considered to be fifth-rate poems set to sixth-rate music. But as I went on I saw the great merit of it. I came up against different people of quite different outlooks and different education, and then gradually my conceit just began peeling off. I realized that the hymns (which were just sixth-rate music) were, nonetheless, being sung with such devotion and benefit by an old saint in elastic-side boots in the opposite pew, and then you realize that you aren’t fit to clean those boots. It gets you out of your solitary conceit.
~ C.S. Lewis*


This topic reminds me of an article I read a few years ago about contemporary christian music. According to that writer, he believed that any Christian songs written after the year 1850 would be considered contemporary music and should never be used in church. Talk about extremes...

On another subject, if you are into the "techie" part of computing, blogs, wireless internet, photosites, etc., this blog site called stephen's untold stories is a good read. I will be adding it to my sidebar as I seem to find myself reading it daily, looking for tips on how to use the computer and internet.

I have mentioned this blog once before, but I think you should read it sometime. If you want to find out more about the War in Iraq, Major K has a blog at strengthandhonor.typepad.com/captaink/ you can read his perspective on the war and he has pictures from Iraq that you can view. Also on his sidebar, he has links to several other soldiers weblogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment