Wednesday, April 27, 2011

knowing God through the Psalms

Recently I attended our church's mens retreat.  It was on a Friday night and Saturday morning at Strong Rock Camp in Cleveland, GA.  Our speaker for the four sessions, two on Friday and two one Saturday, was Evangelist Will Galkin. I was convicted of the fact that the "awareness of God" is lacking in my life.  If I was asked to discuss with an unsaved person about "who God is" I think I would come up short. Will's challenge was to read the entire book of Psalms and find out about God's character.  I have been reading the book of Psalms for my devotions and keeping a journal of the attributes or character of God.  It has been a refreshing and encouraging journey so far.  As Psalm 1:6 says, The Lord knows the way of the righteous "and he will be blessed." 


The message that Will Galkin gave was from Psalm 139:7 "Whither shall I go from they spirit? Or whither shall I flee from thy prescence?" The basic fact is that none of us can run from God.  God knows our actions, words, thoughts...so we need to start thinking truth. (Psalm 139:160)  Also he pointed out that "God knows me" and he goes with me.  Psalm 139:8 tells us that God is there...in Heaven, in Hell.  Verse 12 tells us that darkness will not cover us. He pointed out that we need to stop, turn around, and find grace, remembering that God owns us, and He made us (verses 13-17).  This truth will produce separation from sin and a walk in the Spirit. 


Let me encourage you to begin reading Psalms today and get to know who God is! 

No comments:

Post a Comment