Wednesday, March 25, 2009

southern expressions

The other day while at work and waiting for my computer to change screens, a co-worker stopped by my cube to ask a question. I made a comment about my computer being "slow as Christmas." I realized this was either an old saying or a southern one as he responded that he had heard "slow as molasses" before, but had never heard anyone say "slow as Christmas." I explained that I think it came from my childhood because we were always anxious for Christmas to arrive (more toys!) Of course, it seems now that I am older, Christmas actually comes too soon, as time seems to be flying by! It will be April next Weds!

This incident reminded me of another old saying I picked up on my first job. After my first year of college, I worked the following summer in the textile industry in Gaffney, SC. We called them "cotton mills" back in the day. The guy who repaired all the machinery, looms, conveyors, etc. was called the "fixer." I always thought that was a strange job title because in the 1960's and 70's, a "fixer" was also the name for one who supplied illegal drugs to people. Anyway, this fixer had another old saying that he used every day. He was always telling me he that felt like he had been "rode hard and put away wet." I knew he was really telling me that the last machine he repaired had worn him down, but it was a funny expression to me. So I started using it myself from time to time. I did not understand what he was really talking about until about a year later. A co-worker at the Chattanooga Public Library actually explained the meaning of that phrase to me - that it referred to the fact that you should never ride a horse and put it away without wiping it down.

Life is full of expressions but I think southern expressions are the most unique. Most of the expressions I heard growing up in South Carolina have left my memory. I would be probably be embarrassed to use them anyway. I guess it's time to pull the old Lewis Grizzard books off the shelf and read them again as he was a master "southern" storyteller.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:34 PM

    Never heard of Lewis Grizzard so I looked him up and found a site dedicated to him. Interesting guy... I read his biography and the year he died he wrote a column titled "Be Sweet" which is what his mother used to always say to him... a very familiar term that my mom says to me everytime we talk.

    Also, if you are interested... Moreland, Georgia - This tiny town of less than 500 people was Lewis Grizzard's Mayberry. Though he was not born here, he spent most of his life here, and he eventually became almost inseparable from it in his life and his stories.
    Lewis Grizzard, one of the most popular and best-known Southern humorists, never forgot Moreland, and Moreland has not forgotten him. The Lewis Grizzard Museum is just a bump in the road for drivers headed down U.S. 27A about 45 minutes south of Atlanta. It occupies half of a weathered gift-shop building, and anyone going over the 35-mph speed limit is likely to miss it. Actually, even some folks doing under the 35-mph could miss it, too.

    The museum--admission is $1.00, dropped in a large glass jar-- was a labor of love for some of Grizzard's buddies, and it offers an introduction to Grizzard's life and humor. Dudley and Elaine Stamps have spent the last six years maintaining the museum.

    Visitors can stroll around a small room full of high-school memorabilia, columns for the Atlanta newspaper where he was sports editor for a time, photographs and clothing.

    He had millions of fans, but only a few have apparently discovered the museum so far. But for those who remember and delighted in Grizzard's humor, a visit to the museum is a way to stay in touch.

    To get there, take Interstate 85 South from Atlanta to exit 8, then follow U.S. 27A about four miles to Moreland. Driving from Atlanta, notice the stretch of highway that is clearly marked, The Lewis Grizzard Highway.

    ReplyDelete