Friday, March 14, 2008

morning in America

As I travel to work each morning, I listen to a variety of talk radio, news, ESPN, or my own collection of music CD's. Unfortunately, there is no Christian radio station in this part of GA. Today I tuned in to Bill Bennett's radio program and was very glad I did. "Morning in America" is the official title of his radio show and the show includes politics as well as educational information, book reviews, and similar "thinking man's topics" (no loud debates.) This morning he was interviewing Tony Orlando, a popular singer when I was in high school. His #1 hit from the early 1970's was "Tie A Yellow Ribbon." In the interview he recounted how that back in 1973 none other than Bob Hope called him one day. He thought it was a joke at first. Bob Hope was planning a USO type show in a stadium in Texas and this show was to be done as a "thank you" and "welcome back home" for the thousands of POW's who were returning home from Vietnam. Mr. Hope wanted Tony to sing that song at the stadium, as the first verse begins, "I'm coming home, I've done my time." Hope knew that song resonated with all the families of the soldiers. Tony continued to recount how that when he started singing the chorus, all the soldiers began to sing along with him, like a huge male glee club. He looked at Bob Hope, who gave him a wink and a thumbs up. Right in the middle of the POW's, still unable to move his arms from being held captive, was John McCain. Wow! What a memory that must be for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment