Sunday, January 13, 2008

reading with a new perspective

As I began reading the first book in the Bible (Genesis) in my quest to read the Bible completely through this year, I noticed that I was reading with a new perspective. We have been attending Berean Baptist since we moved to GA in August, and one thing Pastor Sweatt has taught me is that I should not only read the scriptures to learn what a verse "says" but also to learn what it "does not say. " This week as I read about Noah and his building of the ark, my initial thought was that I could tell this story from memory. However, this time as I read the end of the account - how that God made a rainbow and put it in the cloud - I realized that I have always thought the rainbow was a reminder to us(mankind) that God would never destroy the entire world by a flood again. The rainbow was not just to be a reminder for us, but even more it was to be a reminder to God. Anytime God sees a rainbow today, it is a reminder to Him ("a token of the covenant") that He promised Noah and mankind that he would never destroy the entire world with water again.

Genesis 9:14-17 (KJV)
And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud: And I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh. And the bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth. And God said unto Noah, This is the token of the covenant, which I have established between me and all flesh that is upon the earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment