Sunday, June 10, 2007

longest flight delay in my life

It took me all day yesterday to recover from my flight home Friday. I arrived at the airport early because I wanted to miss rush hour traffic in Atlanta. I had spent the afternoon checking out the cities of Acworth, Kennesaw and Marietta, Ga. The areas northwest of Atlanta are a mountainous terrain and beautiful. I was surprised at the amount of traffic in Marietta. I visited the Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield site. Most of the battlefield is built up and surrounded by houses. There is no "driving tour" like many battlefields and it was too hot to walk, so I visited the museum. We will have to go back when it is cooler and explore the main battlefield sites.

By the time I returned the rental car and arrived at the airport it was about 6 pm. Since my flight was at 8:40 pm I had time to relax. Little did I know how tiring relaxing could become! Our plane arrived late and then at about 9 pm we found out that the plane was "broken." Yes, that is what they told us. Makes you wonder how a plane could fly from Mexico City to Atlanta when it is broken! Delta had to "find a plane" for us, so we waited patiently. Being the hub for Delta, you would think there would be an extra plane or two. Of course not, that would be too simple. We were told a plane was flying in from Orlando at 12:45 am, so our flight would take off at approximately 1:15 am. Then at 1:30 am, we were told that we had to wait for two more flight attendants to arrive. I am not sure what happened to the other flight attendants that were with us three or four hours earlier. Finally at about 2:30 am, the flight attendants arrived, we boarded the plane and took off at 3:15 am - almost 8 hours late! The pilot apologized several times and we were all glad that Delta did not cancel our flight. Otherwise, we would still be there waiting for a seat home!

No comments:

Post a Comment