Thursday, August 03, 2006

weekend in Atlanta


I went to my first Atlanta Braves game at Turner Field last weekend. The Braves were playing against the New York Mets and even though my team lost, I still enjoyed the game. We were walking toward the ticket window and a stranger asked me if I needed a ticket. It seems his wife decided not to come to the game as the temperature was about 100 degrees. I offered to pay him but he refused; he just wanted to give it to someone who would use it. When I caught up to Brandon and his friends, they had already purchased me a ticket, a $5 standing room only ticket. As it worked out, the four of us were able to sit in the same section (using my free ticket) for the entire game. The seat was in row 11 near the front of the top section, behind the home plate. It was a perfect seat for the game and the fireworks display afterward. Also, the attendance at this game set a record for the highest ever at 53,964 so I guess my ticket is now a souvenir!

The next day was spent at the Georgia Dome for the Drum Corps International Southeastern Championships, a prelude to the DCI World Championships next weekend in Madison, WI. The competition began at 12 noon with 16 drum corps competing. Then that evening at 7 pm the top four from the afternoon competed against the top 8 drum corps - the Madison Scouts, Santa Clara Vanguard, Carolina Crown, The Cadets, Bluecoats, Phantom Regiment, The Cavaliers, and Blue Devils. It was awesome! As much as I like the Blue Devils, I think the Cavaliers might end up with the top honors this year. Their show called "Machines" was just amazing. The final scores for the day were 93.00 for the Blue Devils and 93.025 for the Cavaliers.

View Photos from my weekend in Atlanta


No comments:

Post a Comment