Friday, September 09, 2005

Footprints on the sands of time, Chapter 2



As you know, I have been working on the family history. Using www.genealogy.com I have a family tree set up. This is a free site and I am at a point where the tree is full - it only allows you 200 entries. I will have to purchase a program to continue this hobby, but in the meantime I did some more research on the Baggett family history. As I mentioned in the last post called "footprints...chapter 1", we have traced the Baggetts from Cindy, her dad - J.L. Baggett Jr., - her grandfather - Joel Layton Baggett Sr., - her great-grandfather Samuel Martin Baggett, all the way back to her great-great-grandfather, Silas Baggett. This is as far back as we know from the family records. I entered a search online for Silas at www.familysearch.org and possibly found the father of Silas. First, the record I found for Silas listed his last name as being spelled "Bagget". It appears the name has changed spelling from its origin in England, possibly changing from Bagot to Bagget to Baggett over time. Second, the record for Silas lists his three wives which are very similar to our records. We did not know his first wife's name, but this record shows it to be Nicey Williams, and they married in May, 1822 in Perry, AL. The second wife is listed as Fereby Williams, and they married in 1837 in Kemper, MS.(Our records list her name as Parby Williams, but this could be the same person). Now the third wife actually matches our family record, Mary Ann Mitchell, and they were married on July 22, 1861, in Jefferson, AR. This appears to be our Silas Bagget (Baggett) in our family history book. The record I found lists his birth in 1804 in North Carolina and his death on Feb 4, 1872, in Cleveland, Arkansas. It also list his father as Cyrus Bagget and the only information on Cyrus listed that he was born around 1778 in England.
I also found an interesting website - http://baggetthistory.com/home.html. I am not sure if this is the same line of Baggetts, but the information has been compiled by Maury Baggett. Make sure you check out the photo gallery.

No comments:

Post a Comment