Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Memory Lane - when God uses a man, part two

We moved from the duplex across from Gospel Baptist to this house we called the "Coyle house." I remember walking to school from here, but I don't remember the train tracks being so close to the house. I also remember riding my bike to the deacon's home to pick up my dad's paycheck once in a while. After Dad left Gospel Baptist, we helped Bud Pace for a few months; he had started a non-demoninational church in town.



In 1965, God led my dad to start Calvary Baptist Church. Today, we call this a "church plant," but I am not sure if that was a term people used back in the mid-1960's. The church met in this small store-front building for several years.



Shortly after starting Calvary Baptist, our family moved into the two story house next door. (I believe the rent was about $35 per month.) We would use several rooms in our house for Sunday School classes. My fondest memories during these years were the Saturday ball games at the old Cowpens Elementary School playground. Dad would round up all of the church kids to play softball games. We also enjoyed the church picnic every summer at Cleveland Park. Those were the days! In 1972, my parents bought the house they live in today on Edgefield Rd. Calvary Baptist then began using the front living room (corner room with two bay windows) for the sanctuary and all classes met in this house. I think our largest attendance during these years was 75 for Sunday school.

No comments:

Post a Comment