Saturday, October 04, 2008

Life after IKE

I thought I would post a family news update blog, but since Hurricane Ike has affected much of the family, I decided to title this blog "Life After Ike."
A few weeks ago IKE roared through Galveston and Houston and on up through Ohio leaving destruction behind. Even now in the Atlanta area we are facing "day 23" of a gas shortage. Cindy was waiting in line Monday afternoon to fill up her car at the only station in a 6 mile radius that had gas and her car died. By the time I arrived from work, the station was out of gas. So I pushed her car with my car the rest of the way home, then grabbed the gas can and went looking for gas. After driving about 6 miles towards downtown Lawrenceville to no avail, I turned around and headed back towards I-85 - another 6-8 miles the opposite direction - and found a Shell station with gas. I had to wait about 20 minutes in line and filled up the gas can and my car. Now over three weeks after IKE, the lines are disappearing but only regular gas is available. One silver lining for me is that my company is going to let us work at home one day a week until things are back to normal.
Our family in Texas felt the brunt of the storm, and we heard that they all have electricity now. Patrick, Brandy's husband, lost his job right after IKE but he has started working on a new job now. Hope and pray that things work out for the best. Carl's Tahoe was totalled by the damage from the tree limbs (see previous blog here) so he is in the process of looking for a new vehicle. I am sure they all have stories to tell about life after IKE!

No comments:

Post a Comment