Thursday, May 29, 2008

gospel music has lost one of its best

The gospel music world has lost a great songwriter. I am sure many of you read about the tragic death of Dottie Rambo, whose tour bus crashed recently. I remember many of her songs from my childhood - singing them in church with mom and dad and my sisters. "If That Isn't Love" has always been a favorite of mine. Since I am not familiar with most southern gospel songwriters, I was surprised to read that Dottie had written and published over 2500 songs. Another song she wrote became a favorite of mine while attending church in Jacksonville, Florida. "I Will Glory in the Cross" is one of her best and I think one of THE best gospel songs ever written. We used it with our choir and orchestra many times in an arrangement published by Camp Kirkland in the "Simply Gospel" SATB collection. We also used it as a ladies ensemble or trio arrangement. I am sad that she has passed on. But if you listen to or read the lyrics about Christ in another song she penned, "We Shall Behold Him," then you know she is happy to be home in Heaven with her Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Other songs she wrote included "Remind Me, Dear Lord," "Behold the Lamb," and "Tears Will Never Stain the Streets of That City."

Click to read Remembering Dottie

Click to view songs written by Dottie Rambo

Click this link to view Dottie Rambo.net

No comments:

Post a Comment