Saturday, April 24, 2010

Memory Lane - when God uses a man, part one

On my last visit to Cowpens, I traveled around the town to take pics of the places my Dad pastored. He began his ministry in 1960 at Gospel Baptist Church. We spent about four years there but it seemed like a longer time to me as a 5-9 year old kid.

My first thought when taking this picture was that I did not remember the building being this small. For a kid's eye view, everything is much larger. I remember picking strawberries behind the church with Mom. I remember the Bible club we had on Saturdays. I even remember attending a wedding and all of us boys were saying we would never get married in front of all those people! I remember Dad preaching and jumping off the platform and almost landing on top of me. :) I remember Dad's messages about the rapture and realizing that I needed to get saved. When we lived near the cotton mill in Cowpens, I remember going to bed at night and holding onto my sister Debbie's nightgown, so that if the rapture occurred and she went to Heaven, then I could go too!

The church has remodeled some by adding the new side entrance and steeple, a nice touch. They are currently without a pastor.

We eventually moved into the duplex right across the street from the church. I do not remember the duplex being so close to the church! I do remember being sick with jaundice while we lived here. I remember the long walks home from school in the afternoon and stopping by the drug store for candy or a fountain drink. Funny, I don't remember how I got to school, just the long walks home! When we got home from school, I remember watching my favorite TV show, "The Mickey Mouse Club." One of our neighbors had two teenage sons who smoked and my dad would chastise them for throwing their cigarette butts in our yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment